bootstrap themes

What is FAFSA?

FAFSA determines a student’s eligibility for need-based federal and state financial aid for college, which may include grants, scholarships, work-study, and loans. It is administered by the U.S. Department of Education.

Completing your FASFA is as important as completing your college application, and it’s free to apply. 

To ensure that the schools you are interested in can create your award package, your application must include the school codes of the colleges and universities you are considering attending.  
GSU's school code is 009145.

Why #DoTheFAFSA?

1) It's Money for College! Filing a FAFSA automatically qualifies you for low-interest federal student loans of at least $5,500 a year. Don't lose money you are entitled to.

2) More Money for College! Illinois MAP grants are tied to FAFSA. Grants are education dollars that you don’t have to pay back. This year’s MAP recipients are eligible to receive up to $4,800. As always, MAP is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. If you wait to apply, the money could run out, so fill out your FAFSA as soon as you can.

3) Graduate Earlier! Students can now graduate sooner by taking summer classes. Learn more.

4) It's Easy.
How easy? Click here!

Plus, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) safely and securely links your and/or your parents' tax information directly from the IRS to your FAFSA.

This online video shows you the ease of applying for FAFSA.

Students Who Did the FAFSA

Trelissa Moses
D’eandre Sellers

What’s Required?

• An FSA ID to sign electronically. What if I forget my FSA ID?
• Your Social Security Number
• Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
• Your 2016 federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. (
• Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
• Records of untaxed income (if applicable)

Whose tax information should I provide? 

Generally speaking, if you are 23 years old or younger, you are considered a dependent student. You will report your and your parents' information.

If you are 24 years old or older, you are generally considered an independent student. You will report your own information (and, if you're married, your spouse's).

These are general guidelines. For more information about determining dependent status, click here.

When Should You #DoTheFAFSA?

As soon as possible, beginning October 1. The distribution of award money in Illinois is on a first-come, first-served basis. The earlier your application, the greater your chance of getting financial assistance.

FAFSA Workshops

Click on any of the FAFSA workshop dates below and select “copy to my calendar” to receive workshop reminders.

Governors State University
1 University Parkway, University Park,
IL 60484-0975
Map & Directions
708.534.5000 | Contact

Phone: +1 708.534.4480